Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Rigger in Training

So I've been working with Mur for a little while now, learning how to be a parachute rigger. That is someone, qualified, and certified to pack the reserve parachute, as well as being able to make minor canopy repairs, overhauls, and inspections of equipment. It seems like the natural progression for me, being someone who supports skydiving by packing the main parachute for a whole bunch of people. Plus some of the better canopy pilots out at the DZ are the riggers, and they are well respected, oh and it's just cool. So Mur has taken me under her wing for now, showing me the basics before I go take Dave Dewolf's course in January, which is going to cost me an arm, and possibly a leg. An investment that I think is well worth it. Learning all these things is very interesting, and I can pack a reserve fairly well, so long as you don't count bagging it. I've only done that well a few times, and stowing those lines is still a bit tricky. I've also now sewn together a fair few of walk around training harnesses for our students to go along with the new gear, and I'll be making some more of them this week as well.

Last night was an entirely new project for me, one that I didn't work on much at all, and was more just instructional. There was an 8" or so tear in one of our tandem canopies near the tail. So Mur was patching it, and I got to watch and help out a bit. Tonight I'll probably practice patching some canopy material, not on an actual canopy yet, because well my sewing skills are not super amazing... yet. They are improving and pretty quickly actually, but I don't really feel comfortable poking holes into a parachute and then possibly having to re-do it because I can't sew well enough.

Oh I also graduated from my cane yesterday, and I'm now walking unassisted other than my schweet boot. I'm pretty pumped about that, even though my foot/leg are sore today I'm going to stick it out baby!


JOTD:
The Crusades - Because when God gave Moses the 5th commandment, he was jk jk lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment