Monday, February 1, 2010

Whirlyball and Skydiving

The weekend. Friday night, oh what a night. A reunion even. Went out with Heather, met her and one of her friends J (Jayce) at the bar where J works. Then from there got a couple free drinks and headed up to the east side for a house party type deal. Where I met J's boyfriend and his roommate, two guys who I happened to been pretty cool with the beginning of my freshman year at UW-Milwaukee. A reunion of sorts and a shit show in and of itself. Got plenty hammered and then walked back to Quinn (J's boyfriend) and Max's.

Breakfast the next morning at panera consisted of a smoothy for me, (I'm so damn broke!) and some other crapola for J, Heather, and Max (Quinn was at work by the time we actually got up for breakfast). Hit up the dropzone for a short while, where nothing was going on, overcast prevented jumping and the office work was fairly minimal. Hit up the home front to meet up with Amanda and Seth for whirlyball (and to shower before our departure). I rode with Amanda and am somehow still alive, after passing some guy who decided to drive way too slow on the one lane country roads, and then oncomming traffic nearly killed us when Amanda decided to pass him. Seth drove on his lonesome, since he went out with some friends after whirlyball. We got to the whirlyball bar (it's in Vernon Hills, IL) around 6 or so ready to surprise Raven, and Andy for their birthdays.

For those of you who have never heard of whirlyball (like myself until this outing was planned) it is a good fun game, where you drive around in a bumper car, you have a plastic in-line glove throwing thing, and try to get a whiffle ball into a vertical net. I didn't manage to score any points in the four games I played (it's hard to make a shot in all four games there were probably 4 completed shots), but I did manage to ram Andy good for his birthday and get a couple of good whacks on other people with my in-line glove thing. Yes, yes I'm a ruthless competitive person I know.

After an evening of drinking at whirlyball, sneaking out to the parking lot to drink the whiskey I brought (again I'm poor, and that's just much cheeper), and great conversation with all my skydiving friends. Amanda, Sean, and myself headed back to our place, with a detour to Woodman's for quesadilla makings. Sean and I had a nice frisbee match with some stiff tortilla shells, hid 2 lbs of ground beef in the cheese section when Amanda decided she wanted steak not beef quesadillas. We then finally got home, where Lindsay, Brian, and Adam were waiting for us, since our 20 minute detour to get the food forced them to wait 20 minutes in our driveway. Whoops. Made it up to them with delicious drunken quesadillas. Hung out, eating and talking, and I was working on the 5x5x5 professor's cube which I got down to 3 pieces being flipped when they finally decided to leave. I solved the puzzle and watched some Big Bang theory then fell asleep on the couch, too lazy to go upstairs and actually get some sleep.

I woke up Sunday morning and didn't even realize it was as amazing outside as it was. Plugged in my phone and hopped on my computer for a few minutes. Turned my phone on and got a text message from Brad reading "You're missing out on making money you jackass", code for 'get your ass to the dz and pack some parachutes dickweed', yeah our codes aren't very subtle, except when brad uses baseball signs, then you never know what he means, except when you do. I managed to get a jump in with Shue, and Sean. It went . . . alright, we turned like 3 or 4 points, but I was flying a little haphazardly, then again I've only jumped like 6 times in the last 6 months so I'm going to blame it on that. A slight breeze kept me from getting back to the landing area, which really sucked since it was freezing cold outside, about 20 degrees, 10 or so when we exited the plane, and I had some nice thin summer jumping gloves only. I landed on the other side of the runway, with freezing hands and a parachute that wouldn't stop blowing around. I picked it up as quickly as I could, without being able to feel my fingers and walked back into the clubhouse, which took way too long. After getting off my gear, and running my hands under some warm water for a minute I was ready to rock 'n' roll again. The only problem was I had 6 step-throughs in my rig and spent 20 minutes trying to sort it out, which just resulted in me getting made fun of being a packer who couldn't even sort out his own rig. I got it good and tangled though. Packed up my rig and helped train Steve, Mur's friend from work who wants to start skydiving and is going to pack to pay for it. He made some good improvements and after a few hours I packed up my crap and headed to Lindsay and Jill's for dinner with them and Shue. Fell asleep hanging out there on the couch, then went home. Took a shower, and went to bed.

Sleepless nights are always fun, but I thankfully did get a few hours of sleep in. Ended up watching six or seven episodes of The Big Bang Theory, before finally nodding off to sleep for the night. Woke up once in the middle of the night with some crazy dream where I had more or less a back ally transplant of some of my leg muscles to someone else, which resulted in two huge cuts down my left leg. Spent a couple of minutes after I woke up making sure my leg wasn't actually cut then fell back asleep. Woke up to my alarm after it went off for a while and got ready for work.

All in all another fun weekend, this week will be pretty boring, since I've got no spare money to spend, but it looks like I'll be able to work a full 8 hours today since Stacy's son has an ear infection. So that sucks for him, but it's nice for me because I can use the money next week when I get paid.

No comments:

Post a Comment